I wasn't there, I know nothing.

Meg Lasswell writes about comics sometimes. She'll also be your friend, if you bring her coffee.











 

Reading makes your brain go "ping"



People I know say the darndest things

Other people are okay too, I guess






















 
Archives
<< current














Dude, not my fault
 

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Pedantastic

So I'm sitting here, thinking about words. And I wonder to myself "What's the difference, really, between 'avenge' and 'revenge'?" I looked it up, and now I'm gonna tell you:

Avenging, says Merriam-Webster's 4th ed. Unabridged Dictionary, is when you take vengeance on someone or something on behalf of someone else. It implies vengeance above and beyond the original transgression.

Revenge, on the other hand, is vengeance carried out for oneself. It implies an evening of the score, with a dash of petty malice thrown in.
I'm still gonna call my super-hero team the Revengers.
 
 
This blog is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?