I wasn't there, I know nothing.

Meg Lasswell writes about comics sometimes. She'll also be your friend, if you bring her coffee.











 

Reading makes your brain go "ping"



People I know say the darndest things

Other people are okay too, I guess






















 
Archives
<< current














Dude, not my fault
 

Friday, June 11, 2004

Mmm, delicious ignorance

"I have to confesses that I've never waded my way through Ulysses, but I'm hugely proud that we have produced a writer who's esteemed internationally," Laura Weldon, the national co-ordinator of the [Bloomsday centennial] festivals, told BBC World Service's The Ticket programme.

"So I think that's a great thing."

--

Bloomsday, as I'm sure everyone knows, is June 16, 1904. It's the day James Joyce set the monumental "Ulysses" on, chosen because he could think of no more ordinary date.

So let me get this straight. The "national co-ordinator" of the Bloomsday celebration has not only never read "Ulysses," but hasn't heard of, say, Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, Johnathan Swift, Thomas Moore, George Bernard Shaw, W.B. Yeats, Seamus Heany, and a bunch of others I can't think of because I'm too irritated.

I see stupid people ...
 
 
This blog is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?