I wasn't there, I know nothing.

Meg Lasswell writes about comics sometimes. She'll also be your friend, if you bring her coffee.











 

Reading makes your brain go "ping"



People I know say the darndest things

Other people are okay too, I guess






















 
Archives
<< current














Dude, not my fault
 

Monday, April 12, 2004

So I spent the past couple of days holed up in my apartment, playing video games. Well, game, actually. I got Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 from Gamefly the other day. Funny how, if you play 9-12 hours a day, it only takes three days to beat the game, can you imagine? Me and my moon-elf necromancer tore it up, and now I'm playing through again in extreme mode, because I'm a sick, sick puppy. I grew really fond of my character after a while -- he's grouchy, and used to be evil, but lost his memory in a battle with his tutor and now wanders around keeping the world from ending. I started another character, a drow priestess of some sort, to play a game with Lori (she, of course, is a dwarf, haha) (I'm mean, don't listen to me), but she's kind of a bitch. My drow, not Lori (well, unless she hasn't been fed recently). I guess that's what one should expect from those dark elf types. Right, so I have no life. Moving on ...

This drawing thing gets easier the more I do it. I'm sure that comes as a shock to no one but me. I live in hope that if I keep at it, someday I'll have developed a marginal talent. In the meantime, I've been scoping out tons of webcomics. Man, there are a lot of crappy comics out there. What interests me, though, is what makes a good comic. Some of the coolest -- White Ninja Comics, explodingdog -- have very simple art, and others -- The Repository of Dangerous Things -- have art that's iffy but sincere, backed by great storylines. Some comics are just pretty, and I like them despite the fickle writing. The bad ones, though ... oh man. They can be summed up with one word: PRETENTIOUS. Clearly, the author/artist thinks they're great. Too great for, say, spell-checking and plots, things of that nature. I don't want to be like that. Spike (see link to yer left) remains my favorite to date. That girl is sharp, man, and no mean talent artistically, either. Also she was really nice when I met her at Comic-Con, and answers her mail (brownie points).

This is going to be the longest post ever. That's what happens when I don't write for five days.

Lori and I went to see Hellboy again, because it's such a fun movie. I went in expecting very little from it the first time, because the trailers looked really schlocky, but I kept hearing good things about it, so I didn't write it off completely. It was clearly Guillermo del Toro's version of the story, but it did what it did very well, I thought. People who haven't read the comics didn't like it. People who expected it to be completely true to the comics didn't like it. I was expecting crap, and instead got a tongue-in-cheek ode to an amazing series. I hear somebody's thinking about making a Preacher movie, how cool would that be? Well, it could be terrible, but that's the risk you run.

god damned zombie pirates!
 
 
This blog is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?